Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Green Acres, We Are There!

There is definitely a "slow southern style" way of living here in these mountains. There is an inbred politeness and kindness that just about every soul in this area carries with them.   Case in point: nearly everywhere that I have been in this country I have seen No Littering signs.  They are usually matter of fact and are accompanied with a threat of fines.  On the roads in our community, we also have similar signs.  The only difference is that they are polite reminders.  These signs say "NO TRASH PLEASE".  As we were taught as youngsters, please and thank you goes a long way.  I'm not sure whether there is just more pride and respect in our community or whether people appreciate the manners, but either way, it is rare to see any trash along our roadways.

We also have, as most other communities do, community online yard sales.  I have taken to reading these posts on Facebook, not because I'm in need of anything. Heaven knows I've got way too much stuff already.  I ready them for the pure entertainment value.  As the oldest of my chillin' called to my attention, most of these people have no filters.  Everything from phone numbers to personal information as to their whereabouts is openly shared on these sites. You can tell that this is a small, trusting community because you could never get away with these things in big cities.   Here are a few of my favorite posts from these sites.  I hope that you will also see the humor and innocence in them.

The first one that every caught my attention was a desperate woman with an unemployed man.  This ad read something like this:  "My boyfriend needs work now.  The baby's coming soon and he needs to be working.  he will do almost anything.  Please call me at --- ----."  The way I read into this is that he will do almost anything other than look for a job!

The next one was a man trying to sell his truck. He was also including the wench.  Yup, you read that one right.  So did a lot of other people.  The first person to pull the trigger on that one wanted to know if she works and what does she look like and is it legal to sell wenches in Georgia.  The gentleman that placed the ad soon saw the error in his spelling and corrected it promptly!

Sometimes people aren't looking to make money on their items, sometimes they just want to trade.  There was this one gentleman who was looking to get rid of his car.  He wasn't interested in cash he only wanted either a truck or weapons!  There are no words!

The last one for today is a lady that was interested in getting rid of some of her farm animals.  She had the usual goats and chickens for sale, but the one that caught my eye was the silky chicks.  She said that she had a whole batch of silky chicks for sale, but they were too young to be sexed.  My question is: How old does a silky chick have to be to be sexed???

Now for my Green Acres moment.  Last week, Mountain Man was trying to make a phone call.  When he picked up the land line, he heard a man's voice on the other end.  After a few confused moments, he found out that the phone line was being worked on and he would have to wait to make his call.  I was starting to feel a Green Acres moment coming on.  If any of you are old enough to remember Green Acres, you'll remember that the Douglas's had to climb to the top of the telephone pole to make their phone calls.  After they would climb all that way, they had to talk to the operator if no one was using the line so they could make their call.  Later that day, our middle chile called us.  The only problem was that when she called, the person that answered the phone had an unusually thick southern accent.  Her, knowing her Mountain Mama like she does, thought that I was playing around with her so she just refused to say anything until Mama straightened up and talked right!  The voice on the other end again said hello, can I help you?  Now, realizing that this isn't  the Mama, she looks at her phone to make sure that she hasn't dialed the wrong number. Reassured that she had indeed dialed the correct number,  she, now wondering who exactly is in her parents house, said, "I'm trying to call my mom."  The kind voice with the strong southern drawl then politely informed her that he was working on the phone lines and that she should try back in a few minutes.  When I did finally talk with her, she asked if the lineman had given me the message that she had called.  I told her no, but that wasn't his fault.  I only waved and kept on driving when I passed him.  I'm sure that if I had stopped and said hello, he would have given me the message!  That's just how things work down here!

No comments:

Post a Comment